Families are amazing and complicated entities. They can be the source of our greatest joys and our greatest frustrations. Often it is hard to have the important conversations about relationships, values, feelings and goals. Sometimes the challenge is in the details of how you get through your days and weeks.
As a trained and skilled third party I can help you talk about all of these things and come up with approaches and solutions that will make your life less stressful and more enjoyable.
Here are some of the areas in which I can help you. Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have other family related concerns.
Age gracefully, with support from those you love
- Downsizing, more accessible living situation, health issues, diminished capacity, . . .
- Aging can be hard and frustrating. It can also be rewarding.
- Family members and loved ones are often at odds
- You need a plan for moving forward
- Caring conversations among family members and caregivers
- Respect for the capacity and desires of elders
- Balancing needs and resources
- Resolving issues today and planning for the future
- You identify the family members, friends and caregivers to be included
- I talk to everyone individually to understand their perspectives and ideas
- We all come together for a facilitated conversation(s)
- Participants develop solutions for the current situation and the future
- Solutions are documented for ongoing reference
Co-parenting from separate households
- You no longer have a close relationship with the other parent and may not get along
- Busy lives and conflicting schedules
- Different values and priorities
- New and blended families
- Respectful conversations that focus on the needs of the children
- Detailed planning to avoid ongoing conflict in your daily lives
- Discussions about long-term goals and communication strategies
- I will help you have the difficult conversations
- After talking with each of you separately, we will come together to discuss the issues affecting your children and you
- Attorneys and other support people are welcome – together we will determine how they can best contribute to the conversation
- A parenting plan can be created or modified
- The parenting plan can be filed with the court or serve as an agreement between the two of you
Living with teenagers
- Your child is becoming more independent and demanding freedom
- Your role as a parent is shifting from caregiver to mentor and teacher
- Emotions run high and teens are often volatile and reactive
- You need new strategies to stay connected to your teen and determine your new roles and relationship
- Truly listen to what your teen is going through and show how much you care
- Get your teen to recognize that he/she is not yet an adult and still needs support and guidance
- Work out a respectful relationship that sets boundaries while promoting independence
- Open lines of communication and strategies for dealing with future challenges
- I will help you have a productive conversation with your teen
- We will all come together in one place. I will talk with you and your teen separately and then we will all talk together.
- You and your teen will come up with agreements to help you move forward. Agreements will be documented.
- I will encourage you and your teen to focus on how you communicate and commit to new ways of connecting